March 6, 2013

Android developer can't find my keystore file?

Q. Ok, so I developed my first application using MotoDev Studio for Android. When I exported my application, I did not specify a location for my keystore file, I simply typed in a name and it worked.

I have updated my application about five times on the Android market. Now I want to move my app to another laptop. The problem is, I cannot find my keystore file to copy to my new computer. And I cannot create a new keystore because the app market won't let me upload it if I do that.

I searched the hard drive for the file name, but it doesn't exist. I searched MotoDev's default folder /motodevstudio/tools/ but the only file in there is called motodev.keystore. I tried using that but Eclipse told me it was not valid and could not export the app (MotoDev is no longer available so I am trying to transfer my app to Eclipse).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I can still update my app from my old computer, but it's on a macbook from 2008 and it's super slow.

I guess my question is, why can I still update my app using my keystore "xyz.keystore" but that filename doesn't exist on my hard drive? Does MotoDev hide the keystore file? Is my "xyz.keystore" wrapped inside the motodev.keystore?

I am a beginner app developer. Now I know that you should specify a location for the keystore. When I do that I can actually see the keystore file "abc.keystore." But that doesn't help me now.

A. I had some success with using 'keytool' from the Java SDK to convert the MOTODEV keystore to one usable in the ADK. I haven't been able to try my new keystore on an app upload, but ADK seemed to accept the keystore I imported.

The command I started with was something like this:

keytool -importkeystore -srckeystore C:\motodev.keystore -destkeystore mykeystore.jks -srcstoretype jcek -deststoretype jks





Powered by Yahoo! Answers

No comments:

Post a Comment